Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I Have A Little Secret

Once in awhile, my husband and I go on a date night.  We don't go on a date night, we dress our best and splurge on this fancy little hole-in-the-wall restaurant not too far away.  The place is quiet and has a pleasant atmosphere filled with candles and soft music.  They play whatever we request that night.  We sit down at a comfortable table for two by a large window overlooking the soft fallen snow on a tree close by.  Placed before us are the best sets of dishes, cloth napkins, fancy menus, and an appetizer just waiting for us to dine.  The specialty there is the herb and chive cheese with vegetable crackers to start and a house salad just to wet our palates.  We always order the special of the day, whether it be the juicy New Orleans Grilled Chicken with Baby Snap Peas, the succulent Grilled Sausage with Seasoned Peppers and Onions, the Garden Vegetable Chicken and Gnocchi soup, or the loaded Supreme Stromboli with fresh Garlic Bread on the side.  For this special moment we sit with one another, face-to-face, and spend at least an hour dining and discussing our days, dreams, and hopes to come.  With our after-dinner coffee, we always look forward to our favorite choice of dessert (homemade chocolate cake a la mode, fresh banana pudding, or huge chocolate chip cookies with ice cream).  A night alone, just the two of us, with candles, our choice of music, a five course meal, conversation, and top it off with dessert.  Spectacular.

Actually, the best part about it is that it is "Free."  Yes.  You read that right.  "A free date night with my husband?!  Where he'll actually spend a whole hour talking with me and I feel no guilt?  How is that possible? I wanna free date night with my husband,"  I can hear you talking to your screen now.

I'll let you in on my little secret if you keep it that way. 

The truth is...
I love my husband.  I love him so much candle are lit throughout the house before he even comes home.  I love him so much that dinner is prepared even before he walks through our door.  I love him so much that a prepared and printed "menu" (thank you, technology!) awaits on the table so date night becomes official.  I love him so much we use the best dishes we own, dress our best, and spritz up the atmosphere with music, just for my husband.  Don't get me wrong, I'm far... FAR from perfect  (thank you, God, for giving me a patient husband.)  But it's worth it to try to show him that "I love him that much!"


We are the Bride of Christ.  Do we love Him so much that we will sit down and have a cup of coffee with Him every morning?  Do we love Him so much that we will plan a date night with Him, just so we can have an hour of uninterrupted conversation?  Do we love Him so much that we long to be with Him even to the point to give up our time, our energy, our life?

I hope you can say:

Yes, I love Him that much!

1 comment:

  1. I love this little secret of yours! Thank you for this great piece! You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete